Oregon just can't seem to find a way to compete with the more physical teams, so their national championship hopes have once again, barring a miracle, been dashed. With the way Florida State and Alabama are playing, it would be very improbable for the Ducks to play their way back into the picture, unless, of course, USC stuns Stanford, putting Oregon in position to get into the Pac-12 championship game. And then we find Auburn on a collision course with Alabama in the Iron Bowl, with the winner most likely advancing to the SEC championship game. With Virginia Tech's impressive win over Miami Saturday night, that defense might stand a chance of slowing down Florida State should they meet in the ACC championship game. Regarding my picks, this was one of the worst weeks of the season, but I still called a couple of upsets.
Last Week: 14 - 7
Overall: 155 - 47
(3) Oregon (8-0) 30 @ (5) Stanford (7-1) 24: I guess history repeats itself. No. 20 - 26.
(10) Oklahoma (7-1) 28 @ (6) Baylor (7-0) 31: Baylor's for real and needs to get some serious consideration in the BCS. Correct. 12 - 41.
(13) LSU (7-2) 30 @ (1) Alabama (8-0) 27: Too many critical turnovers doomed the Tigers. Then the Tide just wore them down. No. 17 - 38.
(2) Florida State (8-0) 34 @ Wake Forest (4-5) 16: Florida State scores at will. This one was over before the Seminoles' bus engine cooled off and they could have put up 80 if they'd wanted. The dream game of the season, now that Oregon has lost? How about Florida State - Alabama. Correct. 59 - 3.
(8) Missouri (8-1) 37 @ Kentucky (2-6) 17: The good news is you're a head football coach in the SEC. The bad news is you're the coach of Kentucky. I don't care how good a coach you are, without players, forget about it. Correct. 48 - 17.
(9) Auburn (8-1) 20 @ Tennessee (4-5) 21: I totally whiffed on this one. Auburn's for real and I'm convinced now that they can give number one Alabama a run for their money in a couple of weeks. No. 55 - 23.
Virginia Tech (6-3) 19 @ (11) Miami (7-1) 17: This was the best offensive performance by the Hokies in recent memory. And take away a couple of big plays by the Hurricanes and this one is even a greater blowout. If Miami regroups and beats Duke, the Hokies will be taking on FSU in the ACC championship game, given they take care of business against Maryland and Virginia. Correct. 42 - 24.
Kansas (2-6) 13 @ (14) Oklahoma State (7-1) 40: No surprise with this one. Correct. 6 - 42.
Mississippi State (4-5) 27 @ (15) Texas A&M (7-2) 38: Despite being a one-dimensional team, the Aggies prevailed. Correct. 41 - 51.
(16) Fresno State (8-0) 37 @ Wyoming (4-4) 30: This may have been the most impressive win of the season for Fresno State, a team I think is obscenely overrated. Correct. 48 - 10.
(19) UCLA (6-2) 31 @ Arizona (6-2) 27: The Bruins won just as predicted. There are plenty of big games left in the Pac-12, so UCLA isn't out of the hunt. Correct. 31 - 26.
Houston (7-1) 30 @ (21) UCF (6-1) 32: UCF plays more like an ACC or SEC team and now has a big leg up on the American Athletic Conference's BCS bid. Correct. 14 - 19.
(22) Arizona State 38 (6-2) @ Utah (4-4) 24: The Sun Devils escaped Salt Lake City with a win, but not before scoring the game's last 13 points in the fourth quarter. Correct. 20 -19.
(23) Notre Dame (7-2) 27 @ Pittsburgh (4-4) 17: I wish I'd predicted this one, but I didn't. That should put an end to the Irish's BCS bowl game chances. No. 21 - 28.
BYU (6-2) 27 @ (24) Wisconsin (6-2) 31: This one wasn't as close as I thought, but BYU still gave the Badgers a game. Correct. 17 - 27.
Kansas State (4-4) 24 @ (25) Texas Tech (7-2) 28: I was wrong. The Red Raiders aren't really all that good, at not as good as their record would indicate. No. 49 - 26.
Syracuse (4-4) 20 @ Maryland (5-3) 28: I just picked Jeckyll instead of Hyde, I guess. No. 20 - 3.
Texas (6-2) 34 @ West Virginia (4-5) 23: It took overtime, but the Longhorns kept their winning streak alive, as well as a shot at the league title. The Big 12 race will probably go down to the final games. Correct. 47 - 40 OT.
Nebraska (6-2) 24 @ Michigan (6-2) 27: It's hard to figure these two teams, but Nebraska stayed alive for a big showdown with Michigan State this week. No. 17 - 13.
Colorado (3-5) 20 @ Washington (5-3) 31: The Huskies continued their rebound in a big way against another overmatched foe. Correct. 7 - 59.
Arkansas (3-6) 20 @ Ole Miss (5-3) 28: This game was actually winnable by the Razorbacks, but they're having difficulty getting over the hump. Ole Miss is just a little too good to make mistakes against and still pull out a victory. Correct. 24 - 34.