It was a great college football weekend, from a thriller between LSU and Georgia between the hedges to a surprise by West Virginia against Oklahoma State to a drubbing in Tempe by Arizona State that cost USC coach Lane Kiffin his job. I had mixed results in my picks this week, whiffing on the upset bids of Wisconsin and Arkansas. My pick of the Hogs over Texas A&M was mostly a sentimental homer pick, but I made it and it counts. Oklahoma State didn't show up until late in Morgantown and it cost them. My other loss was because I picked my hated Virginia Cavaliers to actually beat someone on the road. My bad...
Last Week: 15 - 4
Overall: 88 - 18
(21) Ole Miss (3-0) 27 @ (1) Alabama (3-0) 30: Okay, how good is Alabama? ...Really good. Correct. 0 - 25..
California (1-2) 20 @ (2) Oregon (3-0) 41: I really didn't learn anything new about Oregon in this one. Correct. 16 - 55..
Wake Forest (2-2) 14 @ (3) Clemson (3-0) 31: Clemson delivered as expected. Correct. 7 - 56..
(23) Wisconsin (3-1) 31 @ (4) Ohio St. (4-0) 30: It was good win for the Buckeyes, but I'm still not convinced. Maybe I'm just stubborn. No. 24 - 31.
(5) Stanford (3-0) 27 @ Washington St. (3-1) 24: I incorrectly called this a road game for Stanford, but it was actually a neutral site game played in Seattle. Okay, not totally neutral, but it didn't matter to Stanford. Correct. 55 - 17.
(6) LSU (4-0) 24 @ (9) Georgia (2-1) 27: This was coin flip game for me, so I guess I have a pretty smart coin. What a game for Georgia to stay alive in the national championship hunt. Correct. 41 - 44.
(8) Florida St. (3-0) 30 @ Boston College (2-1) 17: A little concerned by the Seminole defense giving up 34 points. What will Clemson do to these guys? Correct. 48 - 34.
(10) Texas A&M (3-1) 34 @ Arkansas (3-1) 37: I was at this game, and the atmosphere was electric. The difference ended up being a pick six thrown my Hog QB Brandon Allen at the beginning of the third quarter, giving the Aggies a 31 - 20 lead. The Razorbacks fought back, but ultimately Johnny Football was just too much. No. 45 - 33.
(11) Oklahoma St. (3-0) 40 @ West Virginia (2-2) 14: I've said it before that you're vulnerable when you have to score 30 points to win. Well, the Cowboys came out a little flat and they paid the price. No. 21 - 30.
(12) South Carolina (2-1) 34 @ UCF (3-0) 24: As I predicted, this was a real battle for the Gamecocks, having to come back from a ten point deficit at halftime. Correct. 28 - 25.
(14) Oklahoma (3-0) 24 @ (22) Notre Dame (3-1) 20: Can we finally put Notre Dame out of the running for its conference of its own automatic BCS bid? I sure hope so. Correct. 35 - 21.
(15) Miami, FL (3-0) 42 @ South Florida (0-3) 14:This one went just like I thought is would. Correct. 49 - 21.
Arizona (3-0) 21 @ (16) Washington (3-0) 28: Washington may be the best kept secret in college football. Correct. 13 - 31.
(20) Florida (2-1) 27 @ Kentucky (1-2) 17: Florida keeps finding ways to win. They're still not a complete team and they'll be challenged to keep it going as they hit the meat of their SEC schedule. Correct. 24 - 7.
(25) Fresno St. (3-0) 42 @ Hawaii (0-3) 21: I'll ask the question again: Why is Fresno St. ranked 25th in the nation? Are you kidding? They give up 37 to a bad Hawaii team and hold on to win. I think there are at least 50 other teams that could beat these guys. Correct. 42 - 37.
Virginia Tech (3-1) 23 Ga. Tech (3-0) 20: My Hokies are playing defense at a very high level. When you hold Ga. Tech to 129 yards rushing, you're doing something right. We saw a little more production from QB Logan Thomas, but the Va. Tech offense is still very much a work in progress. Correct. 17 - 10.
Virginia (2-1) 31 @ Pittsburgh (2-1) 30: This goes in the "What was I thinking?" category. No. 3 - 14.
USC (3-1) 24 @ Arizona St. (2-1) 27: I predicted that Lane Kiffin's job was on the line, I just didn't think his firing would come when he got off the plane in L.A. Correct. 41 - 62.
Iowa (3-1) 28 @ Minnesota (4-0) 27:Minnesota finally got exposed for who they are. Correct. 23 - 7.