"Unplayable Lie - A PK Frazier Novel

My new book, "Unplayable Lie - A PK Frazier Novel" is the fourth installment of the wildly popular series and is now available in print and in e-formats at PK Frazier Follow me on twitter @kevinkrest.

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

AND THE DOG DAYS DRAG ON..........

Federer continues an incredible streak: Federer continued an unbelievable, and perhaps unbeatable streak this week by getting to his 33rd consecutive Grand Slam quarterfinal.  That is an unheard of level of consistency in any sport.  That is over eight years of winning at least his first 4 matches in every Grand Slam tournament.  The amazing thing is that these tournaments are played on three different surfaces in four different countries on three different contintents.  He has avoided injury, overcome two set deficits and managed bad bounces to achieve this incredible feat.  Tiger Woods had a similar streak of made cuts early in his career, but eventually an injury and the inevitable bad round did him in.  Federer deserves to be recognized as one of the all time great athletes and great champions in all of sports.

The Greenbrier hosts the PGA this week: My only memory of the Greenbrier resort has nothing to do with golf.  It was early in my career and I was on a business trip that took me and a colleague to Lewisburg, West Virginia, a short distance from The Greenbrier.  It was the mid 80's and our daily per diem for food was probably around $23.  Janice decided that we should have dinner at the dining room at the resort.  I had no idea what we were getting ourselves into, but I do remember the incredible service, wonderful atmosphere and outstanding food.  I also remember the bill was $35 per person plus tip for a seven course dinner.  At the time it was a hardship and I think we ate at McDonalds for two days to make up for it, but over 27 years later, it is still one of the highlights of all of my extensive business travel memories.  It is no wonder that the touring pros are flocking to The Greenbrier this week to play in the event.  However, I'll challenge them to find anything to eat on the property today for $35..........

Independence Day....How lucky are we?: I would say incredibly lucky.  In spite of economic issues, political turmoil, Obamacare debates, etc. etc., we still enjoy the most freedom and opportunity in the world. God bless our forefathers for their wisdom and courage to carve out a constitution and form of government that has survived for the last 225 years. When I hear athletes whining about anything, it makes me sick.  The rest of us use our gifts and accept what our employers pay us.  Pro athletes today, for the most part, seem to lack perspective relative to their fan base.  I know there are a lot of athletes that give back a tremendous amount to charities within their communities.  Perhaps these leaders should get in the ears of their less understanding peers and tell them to STOP IT.  Dwight Howard, are you listening?  Your selfish behavior resulted in two people losing their jobs and you won't even be in the organization ten days from now. If I remember correctly, Lebron did not hold a franchise hostage, he just wanted to be given the opportunity to go somewhere to win a championship. Freedom. Independence. Opportunity. USA.

No comments:

Post a Comment