I correctly predicted that one of the Mississippi teams would go down, and I even picked the right one on my way to a 15 - 1 picking week. The lone loss was a last second victory by Utah over USC. Along the way, TCU put up more points then their basketball did in all but two games last season. That's just crazy.
It sounds improbable, but there is a scenario where no SEC West team finds its way into the playoffs, since the contenders all play each other down the stretch.
Last Week: 15 - 1.
Overall: 147 - 60
(1) Mississippi State (6 - 0) 27 @ Kentucky (5 - 2) 17: Correct. The Bulldogs were challenged by Kentucky, but never let the Wildacats take a late lead. Mississippi St. 45 - 31.
(3) Ole Miss (7 - 0) 20 @ LSU (6 - 2) 23: Correct. LSU probably won't be in playoff consideration, but their game against Alabama in two weeks looms large in the national picture. The Rebels are still in the mix, but games against Auburn, Arkansas and Mississippi State remain. LSU 10 - 7.
(4) Alabama (6 - 1) 34 @ Tennessee (3 - 4) 16: Correct. I don't think the Tide will lose again this season, even though they have LSU, Mississippi State and Auburn left on the schedule. If they do run the table, there's little doubt about them jumping over Florida State to Number One. Alabama 34 - 20.
South Carolina (4 - 3) 27 @ (5) Auburn (5 - 1) 38: Correct. This was a very entertaining game with Steve Spurrier at his best. The Tigers' defense concerns me as they try to get into the playoffs. Auburn 42 - 35
Michigan (3 - 4) 17 @ (8) Michigan State (6 - 1) 34: Correct. I think we can all say goodbye to Michigan coach Brady Hoke. Now the Spartans' matchup with Ohio State in two weeks looks like a playoff elimination game. Michigan St. 35 - 11.
Texas Tech (3 - 4) 27 @ (10) TCU (5 - 1) 38: Correct. The only thing I can think is that TCU coach Gary Patterson thinks that running up the score will impress the playoff selection committee. At least Texas Tech coach Kliff Kingbury signed a nice contract extension earlier this season. I think he's going to need it. TCU 82 - 27.
Texas (3 - 4) 16 @ (11) Kansas State (5 - 1) 27: Correct. Kansas State may be the best team nobody's talking about. The Big 12 and Big Ten are the two conferences most likely to be left out of the four team playoff, so the upcoming games with TCU, West Virginia and Baylor will be huge. Kansas St. 23 - 0.
(13) Ohio State (5 - 1) 30 @ Penn State (4 - 2) 24: Correct. I'm not sure this game did much to help Ohio State's claim that they are worthy of playoff consideration. They'll need to play a lot better to defeat Michigan State. Ohio St. 31 - 24 2 OT
(14) Arizona State (5 - 1) 30 @ Washington (5 - 2) 28: Correct.This one was a lot closer than the score. The Sun Devils scored on a late pick six for the final margin. Conference games with Utah and Arizona remain, plus a big one against Notre Dame. Arizona St. 24 - 10.
(15) Arizona (5 - 1) 37 @ Washington State (2 - 5) 24: Correct. It's going to be interesting to to see if a contender to Oregon will emerge from the Pac 12 South. With Arizona's win over the Ducks, they may have an advantage in a potential conference title rematch. Arizona 59 - 37.
Rutgers (5 - 2) 23 @ (16) Nebraska (6 - 1) 27: Correct. We seem to be focusing on Michigan State and Ohio State from the Big Ten, but the Cornhuskers continue to churn their way through the West. Nebraska 42 - 24.
(20) USC (5 - 2) 28 @ (19) Utah (5 - 1) 27: No. Utah's touchdown with eight seconds left kept me from sweeping the picks for the week. Ouch! Utah 24 - 21.
Syracuse (3 - 4) 20 @ (21) Clemson (5 - 2) 31: Correct. Clemson's offense didn't look like a top 20 team, but their defense held the Orange out of the end zone. Clemson 16 - 6.
(22) West Virginia (5 - 2) 34 @ Oklahoma State (5 - 2) 31: Correct. We'll get to see just how good the Mountaineers are when they host TCU next week. They already have a win over Baylor, so it's a real possibility. West Virginia 34 - 10.
Florida Atlantic (2 - 3) 20 @ (23) Marshall (7 - 0) 27: Correct. Marshall came back from a 16 - 14 halftime deficit. Why they're in the top twenty amazes me. Their schedule reads like a candidate list for future homecoming games for power conference schools. They haven't played a game against a Big Five conference team. Really? Marshall 35 - 16.
(25) UCLA (5 - 2) 31 @ Colorado (2 - 5) 27: The Bruins almost allowed this one to get away after squandering a 17 point 4th quarter lead. UCLA is just hanging around in the Pac 12 South. Correct. UCLA 40 - 37 2 OT