"Unplayable Lie - A PK Frazier Novel

My new book, "Unplayable Lie - A PK Frazier Novel" is the fourth installment of the wildly popular series and is now available in print and in e-formats at PK Frazier Follow me on twitter @kevinkrest.

Thursday, October 9, 2014

WEEK 5 NFL PICKS RECAP AND THURSDAY NIGHT PICK

As I mentioned in my predictions blog, I thought the Miami Dolphins could begin popping the champagne now, because I didn't think the two unbeatens left before this weekend would stay that way for long. Well, it turned out they didn't make it past Sunday night. One of them I predicted would lose, the other one I didn't, but wasn't at all surprised by the Bengals' loss to the Pats. Unfortunately, I correctly picked the Monday night score, which meant another loss for Washington. Overall, not a bad week for the picks.

In a side note, this is my 200th posting since beginning this blog a couple of years ago. In that time, I've also written two books, the second of which, "Roughing the Passer - A PK Frazier Novel" will be published later this month.

Before we get to the full recap, there's a potentially great game on tap for tonight.

Indianapolis (3 - 2) 27 @ Houston (3 - 2) 24:

The Colts have run off three wins in a row after a tough start, while the Texans have dropped two of their last three after jumping out to 2 - 0 to start the season. These Thursday night games definitely favor the home team, but both participants have to adjust to an abbreviated preparation schedule and recovery time. This one is just too close to make a definitive call, but I'm going to go with the Colts. I think their offense is better than Houston's and their defense is playing pretty well.

WEEK 5 PICKS RECAP

Last Week:  11 - 4
Overall:       49 - 27

Thursday Night:

Minnesota (2 - 2) 24 @ Green Bay (2 - 2) 28: Correct. This one went pretty much as I thought, this the exception that the Vikes never got untracked. Green Bay 42 - 10.

Sunday:

Chicago (2 - 2) 20 @ Carolina (2 - 2) 27: Correct. Like I said when I made the pick, it's the NFL and miraculous recoveries happen. Carolina 31 - 24.

Cleveland (1 - 2) 23 @ Tennessee (1 - 3) 20: Correct. When I said the Browns were just a little better than the Titans, I couldn't have been more accurate. Cleveland 29 - 28.

St. Louis (1 - 2) 24 @ Philadelphia (3 -1) 30:  Correct. This time it was the Eagles who almost lost the big lead, but they held on to go 4 - 1 and keep pace with Dallas.  Philadelphia 34 - 28.

Atlanta (2 - 2) 27 @ New York Giants (2 - 2) 28: Correct. I didn't think any team looked worse than the Giants through week two. Now, I don't think many teams look any better. New York Giants 30 - 20.

Tampa Bay (1 - 3) 21 @ New Orleans (1 - 3) 24: Correct. The Bucs almost pulled a second big upset in a row. I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a nice run the rest of the season.  New Orleans 37 - 31 OT.

Houston (3 - 1) 20 @ Dallas (3 - 1) 28: Correct. With their fourth win, Dallas only needs to go 5 - 6 the rest of the way to get off their 8 - 8 bubble of the past few seasons. If anyone can choke to fall to 8 - 8, it's Romo and the Cowboys. Dallas 20 - 17.

Buffalo (2 - 2) 17 @ Detroit (3 - 1) 27: No. There are going to be a lot of 8 - 8 type teams this season. These might be two of them unless they can get some consistency. Buffalo 17 - 14.

Baltimore (3 - 1) 30 @ Indianapolis (2 - 2) 27: No. I underestimated how well the Colts would be able to handle the Ravens' offense. Now it's on to Houston for a tough Thursday nighter. Indianapolis 20 - 13.

Pittsburgh (2 - 2) 23 @ Jacksonville (0 - 4) 20: Correct. The Steelers made it to 3 - 2 somehow. The Jags are still looking for that first win. Pittsburgh 17 - 9.

Arizona (3 - 0) 30 @ Denver (2 - 1) 34: Correct. These Broncos are looking more like last year's version every week. If Arizona's Carson Palmer had been healthy at QB, this one would definitely have been a lot closer.  Denver 41 - 20.

Kansas City (2 -2) 27 @ San Francisco (2 - 2) 24: No. This was a very good football game. There's no way to count these two teams out, even if 'Niners' coach Jim Harbaugh is rumored to have lost the locker room. San Francisco 22 - 17.

New York Jets (1 - 3) 20 @ San Diego (3 - 1) 24: Correct. I don't know if this game says more about the Chargers or the Jets. It's probably a little of both. San Diego 31 - 0.

Cincinnati (3 - 0) 27 @ New England (2 - 2) 20: No.I was tempted to take the Patriots, just to be contrarian, but it didn't surprise me at all to see them come out and try to dispel the rumors of their premature demise. New England 43 - 17.

Monday:

Seattle (2 - 1) 27 @ Washington (1 - 3) 17: Correct. Washington actually had a chance in this game, but it showed how far the Redskins still have to go to be a playoff caliber team. Too bad the owner can't get fired.  Seattle 27 - 17.

No comments:

Post a Comment