"Unplayable Lie - A PK Frazier Novel

My new book, "Unplayable Lie - A PK Frazier Novel" is the fourth installment of the wildly popular series and is now available in print and in e-formats at PK Frazier Follow me on twitter @kevinkrest.

Monday, January 18, 2016

A TRIBUTE TO GLENN FREY AND THE EAGLES

For those of us fortunate to come of age in the 1970's, the music of the Eagles was a virtual soundtrack of the decade. Beginning with Take it Easy and ending with Heartache Tonight, the band went through transformations, both in their membership and musical style. But at the core always remained Glenn Frey and Don Henley. Their first studio album was released in 1971 and their last, at least before a recent resurrection, in 1979. Truly, they were a group of the '70's.

One of my first concerts featured the Eagles and the opening act was Linda Ronstadt. Looking back, I had considered it just another rock show, but now I realize how special it was. As I'm writing this I'm listening to the Eagles, and at this very moment it's Take it Easy, and tears are filling my eyes as Glenn Frey recites the lyrics that for all of us are forever embedded in our memories.


This space is usually reserved for commentary on sports, but even the Duke - Syracuse basketball game that is muted on the television screen takes a backseat to the passing of one of the truly influential singer-songwriters of our time. The Eagles, along with Jackson Browne and a few others, collectively created a genre of music that even to this day has not really been replicated. From Take it Easy to Desperado to Already Gone to Take it to the Limit to Hotel California and Life in the Fast Lane, they told the story of a generation maturing from young and carefree to one that was assuming responsibility, and not always willingly.

For me, the early college years were difficult, and there were many a night where the only way I could persevere was to put the Eagles albums on the turntable, place headphones on my ears and listen my troubles away. The passing today of Glenn Frey brings back some of those memories and stirs feelings that only music can revive. Perhaps it's because his death brings us closer to realizing our own mortality or it's just the sadness that comes with knowing that another great artist has left us. Whatever it is, it's powerful and it's real and it's worth noting.

As many of you, I will spend this evening listening to the music and voice of Glenn Frey and I will fondly remember what was, miss what could have been and be grateful for what is. God bless and prayers for those that knew and loved Glenn Frey. For now, I'm just going to go back to my youth and just try to take it easy.

Don't forget to check out my new book, "Offsetting Penalties - A PK Frazier Novel" and my first two, "Illegal Procedure - A PK Frazier Novel" and "Roughing the Passer - A PK Frazier Novel", available in print and e-formats at Amazon.com, iBooks and Smashwords




No comments:

Post a Comment