Some surprises tainted the record, my worst of the season. At least I got a couple of Big Ten games right, especially Wisconsin's dismantling of nineteenth ranked Northwestern. The season's only at its halfway point, and already the unbeatens are dwindling. Louisville has no business anywhere close to a national championship game, but with no quality teams on their schedule, they could end up in the discussion anyway. And can someone tell me how Fresno State and their nonexistent defense cracks the top twenty? Really? Does anyone think they could beat Ole Miss, Wisconsin, Oklahoma or even Florida? I didn't think so.
Last Week: 14 - 6
Season: 120 -31
(1) Alabama (5-0) 30 @ Kentucky (1-4) 13: Alabama seems to be getting better as the season progresses. Not a great scenario for the rest of the SEC West. Correct. 48 - 7.
(2) Oregon (5-0) 37 @ (16) Washington (4-1) 31: Correct. 45 - 24. I'm not sure if this says more about Oregon or Washington, but it certainly does nothing to hurt the Ducks' chances at getting to the national championship game.
Boston College (3-2) 20 @ (3) Clemson (5-0) 38: Clemson might have been peaking ahead to this week's big game against Florida St., but did enough to survive. Correct. 24 - 14.
(5) Stanford (5-0) 37 @ Utah (3-2) 24: I really wanted to pull the trigger on this upset, but I just didn't think the Utes had enough to pull it off. It was tough scheduling for the Cardinal. No. 21 - 27.
(25) Missouri (5-0) 34 @ (7) Georgia 40: I got this one wrong in every way possible. I thought Georgia would jump out early, but it was the other way around. The only thing I got right was the failed comeback. No. 41 - 26.
(9) Texas A&M (4-1) 38 @ Ole Miss (3-2) 30: Texas A&M needs to find more defense or one of these games won't go their way. Correct. 41 - 38.
(17) Florida (4-1) 27 @ (10) LSU (4-1) 31: Florida still hasn't found their offense. It doesn't matter how good the defense is, because the Gators won't beat Georgia and Missouri without putting some points on the board. Correct. 6 - 17.
California (1-4) 20 @ (11) UCLA (4-0) 37: Things start to get tough for UCLA, as the meat of their schedule looms. Correct. 10 - 37.
(12) Oklahoma (5-0) 28 vs. Texas (3-2) 24 (in Dallas): I'm not the only one to get this one wrong. The only thing I got right was to say that Mack Brown had righted the ship in Austin. No. 20 - 36.
(14) South Carolina (4-1) 24 @ Arkansas (3-3) 27: You can be pretty sure I won't be picking the Razorbacks anytime soon. No. 52 - 7.
(15) Baylor 41 (4-0) @ Kansas St. (2-3) 31: Baylor was finally slowed down, but still found a way to win the game. Correct. 35 - 25.
(18) Michigan (5-0) 30 @ Penn St. (3-2) 24: The Nittany Lions fans should thank me for this one. I picked Michigan. Enough said. No. 40 -43 4 OT.
(19) Northwestern (4-1) 30 @ Wisconsin (3-2) 31: Finally, I got a Big Ten game right. Correct. 6 - 35.
Iowa St. (1-3) 20 @ (20) Texas Tech (5-0) 37: Iowa St. gave the Red Raiders a run for their money. Correct. 35 - 42.
Akron (1-5) 17 @ (23) Northern Illinois (5-0) 28: Akron seems to play their best against their toughest opposition. Correct. 20 - 27.
Pittsburgh (3-1) @ (24) Virginia Tech (5-1): I failed to pick the score, but predicted the Hokie win. That defense is stifling and could end up heading to South Florida to play Miami on Nov. 9 with a record of 8 - 1. Correct. 9 - 19.
Virginia (2-3) 17 @ Maryland (4-1) 27: Maryland's dismantling of West Virginia earlier in the season is becoming more of an anomaly as the season progresses. Correct. 26 - 27.
Kansas (2-2) 21@ TCU (2-3) 30: No surprises in this game. Correct. 17 - 27.
Oregon St. (4-1) 27 @ Washington St. (4-2) 30: I mentioned in my picks that Oregon St. was flying under the radar. Well, there's now a big blip on the screen. No. 52 - 24.
Indiana (3-2) 14 @ Michigan St. (4-1) 24: I inadvertently called Indiana the Boilermakers in my pick. It didn't matter. They lost and so did the Hoosiers. Correct. 28 - 42.